Sunday, May 22, 2011

Quick Update for May 21, 2011



Not looking too much different yet...

Yesterday's morning activities and errands seemed to expand into the afternoon of their own accord and before I knew it, most of the day was gone with very little gardening progress to show for it.

Which is why at 4:00 pm yesterday Charlie and I were shoveling mushroom compost out of the truck in the rain in order to top dress some beds and make some headway on the list of tasks still to be done for this weekend.
beds top dressed with fresh mushroom compost


I also managed to make some progress removing that last patch of sod near the driveway (Charlie had gotten it started a few days ago).



The salad mix is coming along now that the weather has progressed from frigid to merely chilly

hurry and grow, I would like to eat you!

The peas have been kind of a non-starter this year. We've grown peas without any difficulties in the past so I suspect that the varieties I've chosen this year are not a good match.
The Sugar Star snap peas have been planted twice (they occupy the blank spot in the photo below) and, with the exception of three plants from the second planting, failed to come up both times. The Avalanche Snow pea is currently doing a little better.

the rather pathetic pea patch

So now I'm off to run some hopefully shorter errands today and then get out in the garden to finish up the weekend to-do list before the work week starts up again. I'm running behind on planting, having gotten distracted with some other non-vegetable garden projects.

No comments: